Allstocks.com's Bulletin Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Allstocks.com's Bulletin Board » Off-Topic Post, Non Stock Talk » Offbeat, innovative or futuristic scientific ideas (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Offbeat, innovative or futuristic scientific ideas
T e x

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T e x     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here ya go, a new wrinkle on the ol' "flying car":

http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/worlds-first-flying-skycar-takes-off-from-london -to-timbuktu/weird-science

--------------------
Nashoba Holba Chepulechi
Adventures in microcapitalism...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bdgee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bdgee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by T e x:
here ya go, a new wrinkle on the ol' "flying car":

http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/worlds-first-flying-skycar-takes-off-from-london -to-timbuktu/weird-science

It won't look just like that one, but you can buy essentially the same thing off the shelf. All you need is a lot of money and enough time for delivery and some simple assembly. If the one you choose is light enough it will qualify as an ultralight and you don't even need training or licensing to go off flying alone.

http://www.robots.org/Cliff/Flying/Flying_by_Ultralight.htm

T e x

Icon 1 posted      Profile for T e x     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty cool stuff...I hope they update frequently on the "skycar's" trip.

--------------------
Nashoba Holba Chepulechi

bdgee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bdgee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a fun but dangerous journey.
T e x

butterfly wings, solar cells:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090204170548.htm

--------------------
Nashoba Holba Chepulechi

bdgee

Good find!
T e x

electric car, 100-mile range...to hit the market in October:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=7651

--------------------
Nashoba Holba Chepulechi

Relentless.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Relentless.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tesla motors already has one that goes 250 miles....
T e x

ya, but pricey, eh?

--------------------
Nashoba Holba Chepulechi

Relentless.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Relentless.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hundred grand or so....
T e x

they're hoping to market this $25k to $40k

--------------------
Nashoba Holba Chepulechi

Relentless.

Seems a bit silly to market a car with golf cart performance at twenty-five grand....
Relentless.

To date I have yet to see anything out of any manufacturer that rivals what Tesla Motors offers...
250 mile range and 0-60 under 4 seconds...
I've said this a great many times over the last few years:
Make an electric car with a 300 mile range and corvette performance and soon the internal combustion powered vehicle will be a distant and easily forgettable memory.

T e x

quote:
Originally posted by Relentless.:
Seems a bit silly to market a car with golf cart performance at twenty-five grand....

don't think I'd care to go 90 in a golf cart...

--------------------
Nashoba Holba Chepulechi

Pagan

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pagan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dow Chemical plans to sell solar shingles by 2011

The Associated Press

Dow Chemical Co. says it aims to start selling power-generating roof shingles by 2011.

The Midland-based chemical giant has been at work for the past year on a $50 million project called Dow Solar Solutions.

The company's scientists and engineers are working to develop a product to sell thermoplastic solar roof shingles throughout North America.

Dow Chemical is collaborating with three home builders - Lennar Corp. of Miami, Pulte Homes Inc. of Bloomfield Hills and Prost Builders Inc. of Jefferson City, Mo. - and with Tucson, Ariz.-based Global Solar Energy Inc., a maker of flexible materials.

The researchers have conducted numerous tests in preparing the shingles for market, said Robert J. Cleereman, senior director of solar development for Dow Chemical.

"We've thrown everything you can imagine at them from (simulated) hail to fire to see how they react," he told The Saginaw News. "One day, a person would no more think about buying a house without solar shingles than they would buy a house without plumbing. That is our hope, at least."

At the center of the project is a $2.5 million injecting and molding machine nicknamed "The Beast" that produces the solar cell-imbedded shingles.

The marketing for solar shingles will be shaped by government subsidies and utility policies, Cleereman said.

"I can see utility companies paying for the roofing for customers," he said. "It would save them money on building power plants because the solar shingles can act like individual little power plants."

Information from: The Saginaw News, http://www.mlive.com/saginaw

--------------------
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

T e x

...should be in the building code for new construction. well, not the Dow products per se, but any safe product that achieves the same end.

--------------------
Nashoba Holba Chepulechi

jgrecoconstr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgrecoconstr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn I just reshingled my roof last year.
glassman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glassman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jgrecoconstr:
Damn I just reshingled my roof last year.

LOL, i was just thinking that's a good reason to put mine off for awhile [Big Grin]

--------------------
Don't envy the happiness of those who live in a fool's paradise.

jgrecoconstr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jgrecoconstr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know it would be great to have that option but I am sure the cost will be outrageous where it would take you 20 years or so for it to payoff but it does seem pretty interesting. I have no doubt in the future with shingles like these and solar windows and low profile wind turbines on your roof houses will become totally self sufficient.
glassman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glassman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have to do the carport in the next 18 months, no way around it no leaks yet but i expect one any time...

it's freestanding tho, and i should be able to get it done in a day and half...

--------------------

jgrecoconstr

Years ago I could rip off, carry up two stories and replace six square in a day by myself including cleanup. I'm lucky if I could do thee square now.
glassman

i live in the deep south now, i've learned to slow way down, but never stop moving, or you'll make a big wet spot.

--------------------

jgrecoconstr

Glass you need to try depends for that.
bdgee

Methinks jgrecoconstr is unfamiliar with living where 90+ temperatures are the norm for 6 months + out of the year along with 80% humidity. I promise, Depends won't do other than make that situation worse by being unwanted insulation to stop loss of heat.
jgrecoconstr

Nah, I was just trying some light humor, been a tough day. It does get that hot here with high humidity but only a month maybe a little more. I wish it were that warm now cause I hate winter here. The older I get the longer it seems and the economy just plain sucks ....can I just keep *****in' ?????
bdgee

I knew. I was just doing the same.

Sorry about that cold. I know how it is since once upon a time I had to live way up in the far far frozen north in Nashville and damned near frez all year.

T e x

bdgee found this one:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090311/sc_nm/us_batteries_3

quote:
U.S. engineers find way to build a better battery

Buzz Up
* Send
o Email
o IM
o Delicious
o Digg
o Facebook
o Fark
o Newsvine
o Reddit
o StumbleUpon
o Technorati
o Yahoo! Bookmarks
* Print

By Julie Steenhuysen Julie Steenhuysen – Wed Mar 11, 7:15 pm ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) – U.S. engineers have found a way to make lithium batteries that are smaller, lighter, longer lasting and capable of recharging in seconds.

The researchers believe the quick-charging batteries could open up new applications, including better batteries for electric cars.

And because they use older materials in a new way, the batteries could be available for sale in two to three years, a team from Massachusetts Institute of Technology reported on Wednesday in the journal Nature.

Current rechargeable lithium batteries can store large amounts of energy, making them long-running. But they are stingy about releasing their power, making them discharge energy slowly and require hours to recharge.

Scientists traditionally have blamed slow-moving lithium ions -- which carry charge across the battery -- for this sluggishness.

However, about five years ago, Gerbrand Ceder and a team at MIT discovered that lithium ions in traditional lithium iron phosphate battery material actually move quite quickly.

--------------------
Nashoba Holba Chepulechi

NR

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tiny New Battery Is Printable

quote:
A new battery, small and thin, weighs almost nothing and can be printed in a process similar to silk-screening shirts.

The printable battery is expected to cheap and easy to mass produce and could be used in disposable receipts or cards, engineers in Germany announced today.

"Our goal is to be able to mass produce the batteries at a price of single digit cent range each," said Andreas Willert, of the Fraunhofer Research Institution for Electronic Nano Systems ENAS, where Reinhard Baumann led the battery's development.

The battery weighs less than 1 gram and is less than 1 millimeter thick. It runs at 1.5 volts. Placing several in a row can produce up to 6 volts.

A standard AAA battery weighs about 11.5 grams and also runs at 1.5 volts.

Full Text At:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090702/sc_livescience/tinynewbatteryisprin table

--------------------
One is never completely useless. One can always serve as a bad example.

SeekingFreedom

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SeekingFreedom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fountain of Youth?

Drug increases lifespan of Mice...next Humans?

T e x

Toward cheaper "personal genomes":

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/science/06dna.html?th&emc=th

--------------------
Nashoba Holba Chepulechi

Pagan

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pagan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scientists hope work with poison gas can be a lifesaver
Theory: Death caused not by lack of oxygen but by reactions to dropping oxygen levels
Scientist says tiny amount of toxic hydrogen sulfide can stop cell death
Biologist hopes to create drug for use in conventional medical settings
Work inspired by death of researcher's young daughter

By Caleb Hellerman
CNN Senior Medical Producer
SEATTLE, Washington (CNN) -- A wiry, slightly hunched man presses in a few numbers, the electronic lock gives way with a beep and the group presses into the crowded laboratory, plastered with ominous warnings about toxins and biohazards.

Guiding the visitors at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center is Mark Roth, a 50-year-old biologist with a tall forehead, thinning red hair and a perpetual wry smile. He asks his assistant, Jennifer Blackwood, if the rat is ready. It is. She turns a dial, and the sealed enclosure starts to fill with poison gas -- hydrogen sulfide. An ounce could kill dozens of people.

The rat sniffs the air a few times, and within a minute, his naturally twitchy movements are almost still. On a monitor that shows his rate of breathing, the lines look like a steep mountain slope, going down.

At first glance, that looks bad. We need oxygen to live. If you don't get it for several minutes -- for example, if you suffer cardiac arrest or a bad gunshot wound -- you die. But something else is going on inside this rat. He isn't dead, isn't dying. The reason why, some people think, is the future of emergency medicine.

You see, Roth thinks he's figured out the puzzle. "While it's true we need oxygen to live, it's also a toxin," he explains. Scientists are starting to understand that death isn't caused by oxygen deprivation itself, but by a chain of damaging chemical reactions that are triggered by sharply dropping oxygen levels.

The thing is, those reactions require the presence of some oxygen. Hydrogen sulfide takes the place of oxygen, preventing those reactions from taking place. No chain reaction, no cell death. The patient lives. Watch more on how a scientist suspends animation »

Roth's work was inspired in part by personal tragedy. In 1995, his world was turned upside down when his new daughter, Hannah, died after a year of painful medical problems. After that, he decided to go for broke -- to try to tackle something big. "It focuses the mind, when certain things happen to people, and it certainly focused mine." Read more about ways to cheat death

After that, and after his conceptual breakthrough, Roth was ready to experiment. First up: developing fish embryos. He found a way to drain the oxygen from their cells, and they wouldn't die -- they'd just stop growing. When he put the oxygen back, they'd pick up where they left off. If he suspended them for a day, they took a day longer to develop. No more, no less. Nothing else was different.

Next up were fruit flies. This time, he gassed them. They seemed to die; they stopped moving. Then he returned them to fresh air, and the flies came back to life. New CPR beat back death for a young mom

The air we breathe is 21 percent oxygen. At 5 percent, those fish and flies -- like us -- would be dead in a few minutes. At 0.1 percent, it was another story. "You get a state of suspended animation and the creatures do not pass away, and that's the basis of what we see as an alternative way to think about critical care medicine," Roth says. "What you want to do is to have the patient's time slowed down, while everyone around them [like doctors] move at what we would call real time."

If the patient's time -- the process of your death -- were slowed down, doctors would have more time to fix you. In medicine, time is key. An analogy is the history of open heart surgery. For years, surgeons had the technical tools to make simple repairs on the heart, but they couldn't help patients until the development of the heart-lung machine made it possible to preserve the body for more than a few minutes without a heartbeat. Get an easy CPR lesson from an expert »

In rolled-up sleeves and blue Converse sneakers, Roth doesn't look the Army type, but by 2001, he had caught the attention of the U.S. military, through the lens of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. DARPA was looking for a way to protect soldiers on the battlefield from death by catastrophic blood loss.

With more than a quarter-million dollars of DARPA money, Roth tried hydrogen sulfide on mice, and it worked. It wasn't quite the same experiment -- he didn't give the mice enough gas to shut down their metabolism entirely, or to kill them, but enough to drop their breathing rate to less than 10 percent of normal. When he reversed the process six hours later, the mice were fine.

That success landed Roth in the pages of Ripley's Believe it or Not, got him a MacArthur Genius Grant and helped him win more than $600 million worth of venture capital funding for Ikaria, the company he co-founded.

But after that, the ride hit a bump. It's been harder than expected to get large animals, like swine, into anything close to suspended animation. Ikaria had to develop an injectable form; the current drug in development is based on sodium sulfide, which dissolves to become hydrogen sulfide in the blood. Trials to test its safety in humans are under way in Canada and Australia. Tweet about your own medical miracle, and you could win a copy of "Cheating Death"

"[Using hydrogen sulfide] is so simple, it's genius," says David Lefer, a researcher and cardiothoracic surgeon at Emory University, who is now experimenting with hydrogen sulfide in his own lab. "But the failures with larger animals have been a big disappointment. To make this effective for humans may take a combination of sodium sulfide and additional agents. We're just not sure what form it will take."

Animal trials that test sodium sulfide have produced some striking results. Lefer found that it protects mice's hearts during simulated heart attacks. He gave each mouse a dose so small that it was gone from the body 15 minutes later. A full day later, he would induce a heart attack. Subsequent examination found that in the mice that were given sodium sulfide, cells suffered 72 percent less damage than in unprotected mice.

Other researchers are exploring different approaches to tweak metabolism in a critical care setting. A group in Minnesota is developing a drug based on chemicals found in hibernating squirrels. Dr. Philip Bickler, an anesthesiologist at the University of San Francisco Hospital, is also studying animals, including whales and dolphins -- mammals like us, except that they can hold their breath for two hours underwater even during vigorous activity. Bickler says, "There's a lot of potential there. It hasn't been studied in extreme detail, but there may be new ways to protect human tissue from injury. Watch how a 22-year-old cheated death »

The white rat on display in Roth's lab isn't being suspended -- by his description, it's more like a slow-forward button, or a dimmer switch on a light. About 50 minutes after giving the animal a dose of hydrogen sulfide, Roth tells Blackwood to turn off the gas. Normal air flows back into the glass case. The zigzag lines on the monitors shoot upward. In a few minutes, the rat is scurrying around as if nothing had happened.

Roth says he'd be happy to simply develop a drug that can be used in a conventional medical setting. But with a hint of mischief, he admits he doesn't really know how far this could go. Would it work on people? "There are almost certainly reasons it would not, but I don't know what they are yet," he said.

In the meantime, he's having fun trying to change the way we look at life itself. "With those fish, I turn off the heartbeat so they are clinically dead. But I can bring them back. So they must not have been dead, after all."

--------------------
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

T e x

Pretty amazing. Saw this on TV news yesterday--one idea, alluded to here, is putting severely wounded soldiers into suspended animation, remove them from combat area and revive them in a real hospital...

--------------------
Nashoba Holba Chepulechi

T e x

Wow...

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/smallbusiness/0911/gallery.next_little_thing _2010.smb/index.html

--------------------
Nashoba Holba Chepulechi

buckstalker

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckstalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jHFT1X1JDI&feature=player_embedded

--------------------

It's all in the timing...

T e x

cool.

"like driving a patio"

very interesting...

--------------------
Nashoba Holba Chepulechi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Allstocks.com Message Board Home

© 1997 - 2021 Allstocks.com. All rights reserved.